Safety & Maintenance Tips
When considering purchasing a timber playground set, always consider your child's safety. The playground sets require a 1.8m safety space be placed around the set's perimeter. This is to ensure that your child has plenty of space to enjoy all of the features of the playset without interfering with any surrounding landscape features, i.e. trees, fences and driveways. Look out for any features that may interfere with another.
- It is recommended that on site adult supervision for children of all ages be present while playground equipment is in use.
- Please refrain children from walking close to, in front of, behind or between moving items.
- Refrain children from twisting swing chains or ropes since this may reduce the strength of these items.
- Warn children to avoid swinging empty seats.
- Teach children to sit in centre of swings with their full weight on the swing seats.
- Teach children to use the playground equipment in the intended manner.
- Teach children not to get off play equipment while still in motion.
- Parents should make sure children are dressed appropriately. For example; wear well fitting clothing, shoes, avoid ponchos, and scarves or any loose fitting clothing, which is potentially hazardous while using the playground equipment.
- Refrain children from climbing on playground equipment when wet.
- Check all nuts and bolts twice monthly during the usage season for tightness. Tighten as required. It is particularly important to check & tighten bolts at the beginning of each season.
- Check swings, chains, and slides for cracks or deterioration. Replacement should be made at first sign of deterioration.
Tested weight limits for playground swing and slide sets – Kit sets
- Fort platforms - Total weight = 360kg
- Swing belt - Total weight = 100kg
- Glider swings - 30-35kg per child up to 65kg total weight
- Trapeze - Total weight = 60kg
- Full bucket swing - Total weight = 22kg
- Tyre swing - Total weight = 60kg
- Rope ladder - Total weight = 34kg
- Rock wall - Total weight = 68kg
- Climbing ramp = 68kg
- Monkey Bars - Total weight = 80kg
- All slides - Total weight = 68kg
- Clatter bridge - Total weight = 60kg
Playgrounds should be inspected on a regular basis.
If any of the following conditions are noted, they should be removed, corrected or repaired immediately to prevent injuries:
- Hardware that is loose or worn, or that has protrusions or projections.
- Exposed equipment footings.
- Scattered debris, litter, rocks, or tree roots.
- Rust and chipped paint on metal components.
- Splinters, large crack, and decayed wood components.
- Deterioration and corrosion on structural components, which connect to the ground.
- Missing or damaged equipment components, such as handholds, guardrails, swing seats.
We recommend you oil your set within 3 months of set up and then again every 12 months thereafter. This will help prolong the life of the timber. Remember, this is a natural product and so is susceptible to the elements. But just like your outdoor furniture or deck, if it is looked after properly, it will bring many years of reward.